Baked Crab Rangoon Flatbread Pizza with Sweet Chili Sauce is made with creamy cream cheese, imitation crab (surimi), crisp green onions, gooey mozzarella, crispy wonton strips, and drizzled with sweet chili sauce.
All the delicious flavors of your favorite Chinese appetizer crab rangoon on a pizza! Every time we order Chinese food we have to get an order of crab rangoon, which is why I was really excited to hear about crab rangoon pizza. Two of my favorite foods in one.
This page may contain affiliate links. I only recommend products that I would use myself. I may earn a small commission when you make purchases through these links at no additional cost to you. Thank you. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please read my Disclosure Policy.
I first heard about crab rangoon pizza while watching "Best Thing I Ever Ate" on Food Network. Alton Brown mentioned the crab rangoon pizza he had at Fong's Pizza in Iowa.
But Iowa is a bit too far to drive just to try a pizza.
Why This Recipe Works
- It tastes exactly like crab rangoon because it uses many of the same ingredients.
- Plus it's quick and easy to make, no frying necessary. But you still get that satisfying crunch from the wonton strip topping.
- Flatbread: Feel free to use store-bought or if you have a sourdough starter try this delicious recipe for sourdough discard flatbread. If you don't have a sourdough starter you can use this recipe for No Yeast Flatbread.
- Crab: You can use any type of crab meat. Whatever is the easiest/most economical for you. Lump crab meat can be found in the freezer section or in a can in the seafood department. Most of the time I use surimi or imitation crab meat. A majority of restaurant crab rangoons are actually made with imitation crab meat.
- Cream Cheese: Allow the cream cheese to soften at room temperature so it mixes easily. You can also microwave it at 15-second intervals until it is soft.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream adds just a bit of tang which pairs well with the sweetness of the cream cheese.
- Worcestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce, and Sweet Chili Sauce: These sauces add some classic Chinese flavors to the cream cheese spread.
- Green Onions and Sweet Bell Pepper: I like to have a few vegetables on my pizzas they add a nice crunch to contrast with the creamy sauce and gooey cheese.
- Wonton Strips: Look for these next to the croutons in the salad dressing aisle.
What is Surimi?
Surimi or imitation crab meat was first created in Japan during the 12th century by chefs who would grind and salt leftover fish as a means of preserving it. In the 1960s, a Japanese chemist discovered that by adding sugar to the traditional surimi-making process, he could stabilize the product, freeze it, and preserve its shelf life.
Pollock is the most commonly used fish to produce imitation crab meat due to its lack of flavor, abundance, and ready availability.
Pizza Stone or Pizza Steel: Use a pizza stone or pizza steel to bake the flatbread pizzas. They will give you an amazingly crispy crust. You can even use them on your grill outside if you’d rather not heat up the kitchen. Simply throw the pizza stone/steel in the oven or on the grill to preheat while you assemble the flatbread pizza.
Pizza Pan: A cheaper alternative to a pizza stone or pizza steel. The pan is perforated to help crisp the crust.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Add the softened cream cheese to the bowl of your stand mixer and whip until light and fluffy. Stir in the sour cream, garlic, powdered sugar, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and sweet chili sauce.
Place the flatbreads on a pizza pan/steel/stone and spread the cream cheese mixture evenly across them. Sprinkle with crab meat or surimi, bell pepper, and green onions. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy.
Top the baked pizzas with wonton strips and drizzle with sweet chili sauce.
Tip: Use a pizza stone or pizza steel to bake the flatbread pizzas. They will give you an amazingly crispy crust. You can even use them on your grill outside if you’d rather not heat up the kitchen. If you don't have a pizza stone you can also use this pizza pan which is perforated to help crisp the crust.
Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days.
There are a couple of ways to reheat Crab Rangoon Flatbread pizza.
- Microwave: You can reheat it in the microwave at 30-second intervals but the flatbread will not be as crunchy.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Farenheight and bake the flatbread pizza on a sheet pan for 5-10 minutes. This is my favorite method.
How to make your own frozen pizza
I admit that some nights I just don't feel like cooking and usually have a frozen pizza or two stashed in the freezer. These flatbread pizzas make a perfect freezer meal. Once reheated in the oven, you can’t tell that they were ever frozen.
- To freeze: Assembled the flatbread pizzas on a baking sheet and freeze until frozen solid, about one hour. Wrap the frozen pizzas individually with plastic wrap to help keep the toppings in place. Then place them in a freezer bag and label with the contents and date. The frozen flatbread pizzas will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To reheat: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place the frozen flatbread pizzas directly on the oven rack and bake for 13-18 minutes. The pizzas are done when the cheese is melted and the center is completely warmed through.
Pair this crab rangoon flatbread pizza with one of these delicious sides.
- Shaved Daikon Radish and Carrot Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing - Babaganosh
- Easy Green Bean Broccoli Stir Fry - Veggie Inspired
- Daikon Radish Slaw - Little Sunny Kitchen
- Stir Fry Broccoli with Ginger & Sesame - Krumpli
Thanks for Reading!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below! You can also snap a picture and post it on Facebook be sure to tag me @RaspberriesandKohlrabi.