Crab rangoon flatbread is topped with creamy cream cheese, imitation crab, crisp green onions, gooey mozzarella cheese, spicy sweet chili sauce, and crispy wonton strips.
All the delicious flavors of your favorite Chinese appetizer on a pizza! Every time we order Chinese food we have to get an order of crab rangoon, which is why I was really excited to hear about crab rangoon pizza. Two of my favorite foods in one.
This page may contain affiliate links. I only recommend products that I would use myself. I may earn a small commission when you make purchases through these links at no additional cost to you. Thank you. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please read my Disclosure Policy.
I first heard about crab rangoon pizza while watching “Best Thing I Ever Ate” on Food Network. Alton Brown mentioned the crab rangoon pizza he had at Fong’s Pizza in Iowa.
Iowa is a little too far to drive just to try a pizza which is why I was really excited when a local pizza parlor started selling it as one of their new limited edition pizzas.
Every night it was on their menu they sold out. Finally one night we were able to try it and it was pretty good. They only sell hand-tossed crust and I am a thin crust girl so I decided to make my own version at home.
- Flatbread: Feel free to use store-bought or if you have a sourdough starter try this delicious recipe for sourdough discard flatbread. If you don’t have a sourdough starter you can use this recipe for No Yeast Flatbread.
- Crab: You can use any type of crab meat. Whatever is the easiest/ most economical for you. Most of the time I use surimi or imitation crab meat.
- Cream Cheese: Allow the cream cheese to soften at room temperature so it mixes easily. You can also microwave it at 15-second intervals until it is soft.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream adds just a bit of tang which pairs well with the sweetness of the cream cheese.
- Worcestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce, and Sweet Chili Sauce: These sauces add some classic Chinese flavors to the cream cheese spread.
- Green Onions and Sweet Bell Pepper: I like to have a few vegetables on my pizzas they add a nice crunch to contrast with the creamy sauce and gooey cheese.
- Wonton Strips: Look for these next to the croutons in the salad dressing aisle.
What is Surimi?
Surimi was first created in Japan during the 12th century by chefs who would grind and salt leftover fish as a means of preserving it. In the 1960s, a Japanese chemist discovered that by adding sugar to the traditional surimi-making process, he could stabilize the product, freeze it, and preserve its shelf life.
Pollock is the most commonly used fish to produce imitation crab meat due to its lack of flavor, abundance and ready availability.
How to make crab rangoon pizza
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Add the cream cheese to the bowl of your stand mixer and whip until light and fluffy. Stir in the sour cream, garlic, powdered sugar, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and chili sauce.
- Place the flatbreads on a sheet pan and spread the cream cheese mixture evenly across them. Sprinkle with surimi, bell pepper, and green onions. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cheese is melted and crust is crispy.
- Top with wonton strips and drizzle with sweet chili sauce.
Tip: Use a pizza stone or pizza steel to bake the flatbread pizzas. They will give you an amazingly crispy crust. You can even use them on your grill outside if you’d rather not heat up the kitchen. If you don’t have a pizza stone you can also use this pizza pan which is perforated to help crisp the crust.
How to reheat crab rangoon flatbread pizza
There are a couple of ways to reheat Crab Rangoon Flatbread pizza.
- Microwave: You can reheat it in the microwave at 30-second intervals but the flatbread will not be as crunchy.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Farenheight and bake the flatbread pizza on a sheet pan for 5-10 minutes. This is my favorite method.
How to make your own frozen pizza
I admit that some nights I just don’t feel like cooking and usually have a frozen pizza or two stashed in the freezer. These flatbread pizzas make a perfect freezer meal. Once reheated in the oven, you can’t tell that they were ever frozen.
- To freeze: Assembled the flatbread pizzas on a baking sheet and freeze until frozen solid, about one hour. Wrap the frozen pizzas individually with plastic wrap to help keep the toppings in place. Then place them in a freezer bag and label with the contents and date. The frozen flatbread pizzas will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To reheat: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place the frozen flatbread pizzas directly on the oven rack and bake for 13-18 minutes. The pizzas are done when the cheese is melted and the center is completely warmed through.
Pair this crab rangoon flatbread with one of these delicious sides.
- Shaved Daikon Radish and Carrot Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing – Babaganosh Healthy, delicious Shaved Carrot and Daikon Salad recipe with a delicious Sesame Ginger dressing. Forget lettuce, and add a wonderful crunch to your dinner with this vegan side salad! The tasty, healthy ribbons of daikon radish and carrots will have you reaching for seconds.
- Easy Green Bean Broccoli Stir Fry – Veggie Inspired This Green Bean Broccoli Stir Fry has crispy, yet tender, veggies and lots of flavor. It’s a versatile side dish that your whole family is going to love!
- Vegetable Gyoza with Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce – Home Cooked Roots
- Daikon Radish Slaw – Little Sunny Kitchen Daikon slaw is made with mooli or daikon radish, and your favorite coleslaw ingredients! The white radish adds a lovely peppery but sweet and crisp taste to the salad which makes it super special.
- Stir Fry Broccoli with Ginger & Sesame – Krumpli This quick stir-fried broccoli with ginger is a Chinese influenced side dish that is quick and simple to make. It takes just 15 minutes and works wonderfully just as well with a perfectly roast chicken as it does with classic Chinese dishes!
Try one of these other flatbread pizzas
- Greek Chicken Flatbread Pizza
- Flatbread Pizza Roundup
- Shrimp Scampi Pizza
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
- Shrimp Pesto Flatbread Pizza
Thanks for Reading!
I publish new recipes every week! Sign up for my email newsletter to be the first to know when new recipes are published.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below! You can also snap a picture and post it on Facebook be sure to tag me @RaspberriesandKohlrabi.