I am always looking for easy ways to use up leftovers. Today I have a delicious quick and easy recipe for Leftover Pulled Pork Casserole.
This Pulled Pork Casserole is a great way to breathe new life into your leftovers while creating a comforting and flavorful dish that the whole family will love.
It's a pretty hands-off meal that creates lots of leftovers which are great for freezing and give me a jump start for future meals on busy weeknights.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This delicious casserole is an excellent way to repurpose leftover pulled pork, transforming it into a brand-new, exciting dish.
- With simple instructions and readily available ingredients, this casserole comes together effortlessly.
- Feel free to add your own twist to this casserole by incorporating additional vegetables and spices for amazing flavor.
- This dish is a crowd-pleaser that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters. It's a perfect option for weeknight dinners or a potluck gathering.
All you need are a few simple ingredients to make this Leftover Pulled Pork Casserole.
Pulled Pork: Use leftover pulled pork or purchase a tub of already prepared pulled pork from the grocery store.
Sour Cream: Sour cream adds a wonderful creaminess and adds just a little bit of tang that helps cut through the richness of the dish.
Bell Peppers: Use any color of bell pepper; green, red, orange, or yellow.
Green Chiles, Chili Powder, and Cumin: Add delicious flavor and a little spice with these popular Mexican ingredients.
Tater Tots: Tater tots are the perfect way to add a delicious crispy crust to this easy casserole.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Substitutions and Variations
Leftover Shredded Pork: If you don't have any leftover pulled pork you could also substitute shredded chicken or shredded beef.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese: No cheddar cheese? This casserole will also taste great with shredded Monterey jack cheese, pepper jack cheese for a little extra heat, Colby jack cheese, or mozzarella cheese.
Black Beans: No black beans? Go ahead and use kidney beans or pinto beans.
Green Onions: No green onions try these amazing Quick Pickled Red Onions.
Like it spicy? Add some chopped jalapeno peppers or a dash of hot sauce before baking or serve with a little salsa verde or pico de gallo.
Prefer it mild? Omit the chili powder and green chiles.
To feed a crowd, double all of the ingredients and bake in a 9x13 casserole dish.
To stretch this dish even further, you can add a can of drained diced tomatoes or some frozen corn.
Step by Step Directions
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, combine the leftover pulled pork, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, drained black beans, diced bell pepper, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
Step 2: Stir well to ensure all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
Step 3: Transfer the mixture into a greased 8x8-inch baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
Step 4: Arrange the frozen tater tots in a single layer on top of the entire casserole, covering it completely.
Step 5: Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until the tater tots are golden brown and crispy.
Step 6: Remove from the oven and top with additional shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Step 7: Serve garnished with your favorite toppings.
This easy pork casserole recipe is a great one-dish meal since it includes meat, vegetables, and carbohydrates all in one single dish!
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for up to three months.
Remember to label the container with the date and contents so that you are not wondering what this mysterious container in your freezer is months from now.
Frozen leftovers should be defrosted in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
To reheat the leftovers: Individual portions can be reheated in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Check out this post on Storing and Reheating Pulled Pork for more information.
Yes, Assemble the casserole, cover it with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to two days. Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and uncover about 30 minutes before baking.
Yes, Assemble the casserole, cover it with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, label it with the date and contents, and freeze it for up to three months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight before baking as directed in the recipe below.
Nope. We want speed and convivence for this recipe. Go ahead and use the tater tots straight out of the freezer.
- Use leftover pulled pork or purchase a tub of already prepared pulled pork from the grocery store.
- Freshly grated cheese melts more evenly than pre-shredded cheese.
- To feed a crowd, double all of the ingredients and bake in a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Like it spicy? Add some chopped jalapeno peppers or a dash of hot sauce before baking or serve with a little salsa verde or pico de gallo.
- Prefer it mild? Omit the chili powder and green chiles.
More Easy Dinners
Thanks for Reading!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below! You can also snap a picture and post it on Facebook or Instagram be sure to tag me @RaspberriesandKohlrabi.
Subscribe to get more recipes and tips by email.
Pulled Pork Casserole with Tater Tots
- large mixing bowl
- 8x8 baking dish
- 2 cups of leftover roast pork shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 4 oz can green chiles
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen tater tots
- shredded cheddar cheese
- green onions
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 2 cups of leftover roast pork, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 15 oz can black beans, 1 bell pepper, 1 4 oz can green chiles, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Stir well to ensure all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased 8x8-inch baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Arrange the 2 cups frozen tater tots in a single layer on top of the pork mixture, covering it completely.
- Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until the tater tots are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and top with additional shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for an additional 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve garnished with your favorite toppings.