This shrimp scampi flatbread is so quick and easy to make.
Enjoy all of the amazing flavors of this classic dish on a pizza.
Shrimp makes a great pizza topping because it cooks so quickly. If you love shrimp pizzas as much as I do you should try my recipe for Shrimp Pesto Pizza.
This page may contain affiliate links. I only recommend products that I would use myself. I may earn a small commission when you make purchases through these links at no additional cost to you. Thank you. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please read my Disclosure Policy.
If you are short on time there are a few shortcuts you can take. The most time-consuming part of making this pizza is peeling the shrimp. To save time, purchase raw pre-peeled shrimp.
I like to make flatbread pizzas using my homemade sourdough flatbread or if you don’t have a sourdough starter you can use this recipe for No Yeast Flatbread. But store-bought flatbread or pre-made pizza crust will work just as well.
How to thaw frozen shrimp
Depending on where you live frozen shrimp is cheaper and even fresher than fresh shrimp. Here are two ways to thaw frozen shrimp depending upon how much time you have.
- If you have 24 hours: Place the frozen shrimp in the refrigerator overnight.
- If you have less than 30 minutes: Place the frozen shrimp into a large bowl with very cold water. The shrimp should be completely thawed in about 15 minutes.
Why do you brine the shrimp?
The salt in the brine ensures the shrimp stays juicy as they cook. The alkaline baking soda increases the pH of the shrimp giving them a firm crisp texture. Just a short 15 minutes in a salt and baking soda brine ensures your shrimp will be juicy and succulent.
Can you put raw shrimp on pizza?
Yep! Because of it’s small size shrimp cooks really quickly. I use raw shrimp on this pizza to make sure it doesn’t overcook. Over-cooked shrimp becomes dry and rubbery.
What can I use as a substitute for white wine in shrimp scampi?
The wine is optional and can be omitted completely or substituted with chicken broth.
What wine is best for shrimp scampi?
Try using a chardonnay or pinot grigio. A drier wine is best for shrimp scampi.
- Pat the shrimp dry and toss in the olive oil, kosher salt, baking soda, and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes and up to one hour.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook the butter and olive oil until the butter has melted and is bubbly. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, white wine, oregano, and parsley. Cook until the liquid has reduced in half.
- Position the baking rack about 5 inches away from the top heating element and preheat the broiler.
- Place the flatbread on a metal baking sheet and brush with the scampi sauce. Top with the shrimp. Sprinkle evenly with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Broil for 3 to 6 minutes until the shrimp is pink and opaque and the cheese has melted. Rotate the pan for even cooking
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and let the pizzas cool for a few minutes before cutting.
- You can also use large or jumbo-sized shrimp. Slice them in half so that they are thinner and will still cook quickly before placing them on the pizza.
- Fresh herbs can be substituted for the dried herbs. Increase the quantities to 1 tablespoon each.
- This is my favorite pan for baking pizzas. It is perforated on the bottom to help ensure a crispy crust.
- For easier cutting, allow the pizzas to cool for a few minutes before cutting.
How to reheat
There are a couple of ways to reheat Shrimp Scampi Flatbread pizza.
- Microwave: You can reheat it in the microwave at 30-second intervals but the flatbread will not be as crunchy.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Farenheight and bake the flatbread pizza on a sheet pan for 5-10 minutes. This is my favorite method.
Looking for more flatbread pizza recipes?
- Greek Chicken Flatbread Pizza
- Crab Rangoon Flatbread Pizza
- Flatbread Pizza Roundup
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Thanks for Reading!
Please remember to Like, Share, Tweet, & Pin this Post.
I publish new recipes every week! Sign up for my email newsletter to be the first to know when new recipes are published.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it! You can also snap a picture and post it on Facebook be sure to tag me @RaspberriesandKohlrabi.