This shrimp pesto pizza is one of my all-time favorite pizzas. It is topped with succulent shrimp, juicy tomatoes, bright pesto sauce, and gooey cheese.
I love pizza! It is a regular part of our meal rotation. Especially homemade flatbread pizzas. They are so quick and easy to make and are a great way to use up random ingredients in the refrigerator. Which is how I came up with this shrimp pesto flatbread pizza.
I love customizing pizzas with a variety of toppings and because shrimp is so small it cooks really fast under the broiler.
This page may contain affiliate links. I only recommend products that I would use myself. I may earn a small commission when you make purchases through these links at no additional cost to you. Thank you. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please read my Disclosure Policy.
- Flatbread: Feel free to use store-bought or if you have a sourdough starter try this delicious recipe for sourdough discard flatbread. If you don’t have a sourdough starter you can use this recipe for No Yeast Flatbread.
- Pesto: You can use store-bought or make your own. I am partial to this recipe for spinach pesto.
- Shrimp: The most time-consuming part of making this pizza is peeling the shrimp. To save time, purchase raw pre-peeled shrimp.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Juicy tomatoes add a nice brightness to the flatbread pizza.
- Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese
Pat the shrimp dry and toss in the olive oil, kosher salt, baking soda, and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes and up to one hour.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Place the flatbread on a metal baking sheet and brush with a thin layer of pesto. Top with the shrimp and sliced cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle evenly with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 8-10 minutes until the shrimp is pink and opaque and the cheese has melted.
Let the pizzas cool for a few minutes before cutting.
Tip: Use a pizza stone or pizza steel to bake the flatbread pizzas. They will give you an amazingly crispy crust. You can even use them on your grill outside if you’d rather not heat up the kitchen. If you don’t have a pizza stone you can also use this pizza pan which is perforated to help crisp the crust.
Frequently asked questions
Depending on where you live frozen shrimp is cheaper and even fresher than fresh shrimp. Here are two ways to thaw frozen shrimp depending upon how much time you have.
If you have 24 hours: Place the frozen shrimp in the refrigerator overnight.
If you have less than 30 minutes: Place the frozen shrimp into a large bowl with very cold water. The shrimp should be completely thawed in about 15 minutes.
The salt in the brine ensures the shrimp stays juicy as they cook. The alkaline baking soda increases the pH of the shrimp giving them a firm crisp texture. Just a short 15 minutes in a salt and baking soda brine ensures your shrimp will be juicy and succulent.
Yep! Because of it’s small size shrimp cooks really quickly. Precooked shrimp would become dry and rubbery by the time the cheese melted.
How to reheat flatbread pizza
There are a couple of ways to reheat Pesto Shrimp Flatbread pizza.
- Microwave: You can reheat it in the microwave at 30-second intervals but the flatbread will not be as crunchy.
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Farenheight and bake the flatbread pizza on a sheet pan for 5-10 minutes. This is my favorite method.
How to make your own frozen pizza
I admit that some nights I just don’t feel like cooking and usually have a frozen pizza or two stashed in the freezer. These flatbread pizzas make a perfect freezer meal. Once reheated in the oven, you can’t tell that they were ever frozen.
- To freeze: Assembled the flatbread pizzas on a baking sheet and freeze until frozen solid, about one hour. Wrap the frozen pizzas individually with plastic wrap to help keep the toppings in place. Then place them in a freezer bag and label with the contents and date. The frozen flatbread pizzas will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To reheat: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place the frozen flatbread pizzas directly on the oven rack and bake for 13-18 minutes. The pizzas are done when the cheese is melted and the center is completely warmed through.
- You can also use large or jumbo-sized shrimp. Slice them in half so that they are thinner and will still cook quickly before placing them on the pizza.
- This is my favorite pan for baking pizzas. It is perforated on the bottom to help ensure a crispy crust.
- For easier cutting, allow the pizzas to cool for a few minutes before cutting.
More flatbread pizza recipes
- Shrimp Scampi Pizza
- Crab Rangoon Pizza
- Greek Chicken Pizza
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
- Chicken Artichoke Flatbread
Thanks for Reading!
I publish new recipes every week! Sign up for my email newsletter to be the first to know when new recipes are published.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below! You can also snap a picture and post it on Facebook be sure to tag me @RaspberriesandKohlrabi.